Welcome to my review of JBL E45BT vs JBL E55BT.
I have spent over 20 hours reviewing each of the headphones and here is my choices.
If you are in a HURRY! then get JBL E45BT headphones if you are looking for versatile headphone, small, Compact, and on budget. While get JBL E55BT headphones if you are looking for better bass quality, longer battery life between charges and not worried about price.
Countine reading if you want to learn more about JBL E55BT and JBL E45BT.
When looking for some of the top headphones on the market, you may run across the JBL E45BT and the JBL E55BT as contenders. However, the numbered names really do not give you much insight into the qualities and features of the products. To help you choose the best quality for the price, we do a deep dive into what is better between the JBL E45BT vs JBL E55BT.
A Quick Glance at The Products
JBL is an American company founded in the 1940s, which focuses on audio equipment for a large variety of applications. The company philosophy is simple: to bring new audio innovation that focuses on meticulous attention to detail, shown through their range of high-quality audio products.
These headphones are a part of the “Inspired by You” series and built specifically to meet the needs of commuters and people on the go. This product stands out because the E45BT is a slightly smaller headphone that features an on-ear fit. This is great for those that need a convenient, portable headphone that features top-notch sound quality.
- 40mm dynamic drivers
- Frequency response between 20-20,000 Hertz
- 16-hour battery life
- Two-hour recharge time
- Bluetooth version 4.0
- Bluetooth transmitter power 0-4 dbm
- Signature JBL sound quality with strong 40 mm drivers
- Comes in 4 different stylish colors (black, blue, red, white)
- On-ear design allows for greater breathability
- Compact and lightweight design is optimal for travel
- On-ear design is less optimal for sports
- On-ear design can be less comfortable for some
The JBL E-series features a line of wired and wireless headphones that keeps the user’s needs in mind. The series highlights a new fabric that provides extensive comfort and aesthetic. It is a great bridge between style and comfort that does not lack sound quality. The E-series not only features JBL’s signature sound but also includes a built-in microphone for greater versatility.
This is another wireless headphone option that is a part of the E-series made for music lovers that are on the go. With this over-ear design specifically, the headphones provide a comfortable fit that is sure to stay on. This design is slightly heavier and bigger due to full-sized ear cups. This option still features JBL’s signature sound and is easily collapsible for easier portability.
- 50mm dynamic drivers
- Frequency response between 20-20,000 Hertz
- 20-hour battery life
- Two-hour recharge time
- Bluetooth Version 4.0
- Bluetooth transmitter power 0-4 dbm
- Ergonomic around-ear design for added comfort
- Comes in 5 stylish colors (black, blue, red, green, white)
- Multi-device connectivity for seamless switching
- Over-ear design great for an active lifestyle
- Over-ear design is less breathable
- Has a slightly less wireless range
JBL E45BT vs. JBL E55BT
After taking a quick look at the two quality headphone designs, we take a more in-depth look at the features side by side. While the two headphones are extremely similar, there are subtle differences in their features, which could help you decide the best one for you.
Dynamic Drivers Size
Both headphones are equipped with dynamic drivers, which is just one of the many types of drivers. This means that sound is produced using the movement created by magnetism and electromagnetism. The driver consists of a voice coil that receives the initial current. It then makes a magnetic field in different directions. The coil is then repelled and attracted towards this field, moving the air around making a sound.
JBL E45BT– This model has a 40mm dynamic driver, which is a pretty standard size for headphones. The size does not necessarily determine the quality of sound, but there can be subtle differences due to the size.
JBL E55BT– This JBL model has a slightly larger 50mm dynamic driver, probably due to the larger ear cups. Even though this does always mean better sound quality, a bigger driver does move more air. This means that it takes less energy to move air or make a sound in the driver. This can affect the battery life as well as the volume. Since the JBL E55BT has a larger dynamic driver, the range of volume is wider on this model than the E45BT.
Since the driver size does not determine the quality of sound, the winner in this category is the JBL E45BT. Even though it has a slightly smaller driver size, this is likely to be because of the smaller ear pads. This size still produces the clear JBL signature audio quality while still remaining affordable, lightweight, and portable. While the E55BT may have a wider volume range, for a complete over-ear design, a maximum volume is not necessary and might actually be too much for your eardrums.
The weight of the headphones can affect the portability of the headphones as well as wearability and comfortability. While it may not seem like a big difference, a slightly heavier headphone model can cause fatigue or uncomfortability over longer headphone use.
JBL E45BT- This model weighs 186 grams, equivalent to less than half a pound. This lightweight model is perfect to travel with and adds practically no weight to what you are carrying. You can also wear these headphones for long periods of time without worrying about any user fatigue.
JBL E55BT- This slightly bigger headphone model weighs 231.6 grams which is equivalent to just about half a pound. It is still extremely light and easy to carry around with you. For an over-ear headphone design, this is very lightweight and does not weigh down on your ears or head even after long periods of use.
Since both models only have a small weight difference, the winner in this category is the JBL E45BT. Even though it is only slightly lighter, the smaller size of the earpads adds points to the portability of the headphones. They take up slightly less space in your bag, making it the perfect choice for on the go. This also means that since the E55BT is only slightly heavier if you prefer the larger ear pads, the headphones are still ultra-lightweight.
Battery life is important in making sure your headphones last you throughout the day. The last thing you need is your headphones dying on you when you need them. You may not always have the opportunity or time to charge your headphones.
JBL E45BT- This model features a 16-hour battery life, which is great for everyday use. You can use it practically all throughout the day without having to worry about the battery. This battery life is sufficient for most users.
JBL E55BT- This model has a slightly longer battery life and lasts up to 20 hours. Even though four hours may not seem like a long time, this extended battery life lets you rest easy, especially if you use your headphones across multiple devices. Switching devices and using it for multiple applications can drain the battery quicker. With this extended battery life, you can use it all day, and even two days or more without charging.
The clear winner in this category is the E55BT with its 20-hour battery life. While the 16-hour battery life is sufficient for most people, an extended battery life does not hurt. It is convenient to have something that lasts longer, so you charge it less; you can rest easy knowing that you can use it all day. Since most people do not actually use their headphones 20 hours at a time, you can probably get a couple of days of use before recharging these.
One of the most important aspects of headphones or any audio product is the quality of sound. While there are only subtle differences in sound with these two products, you may prefer one over the other. Comparing these two sound qualities, they are nearly the same, but one has a better bass amount over the other, which affects the overall listening experience.
JBL E45BT- After testing these headphones, this model has a 1.8 db bass amount. This bass amount means the energy that the headphones have in the lower bass range. While it does not tell you how good the bass is, typically a higher base amount features better bass sounds.
JBL E55BT- This model has a higher bass amount of 2.32 db. This means that this model has a higher energy when producing lower bass sounds. Even though it may not seem that important, if you prefer a heavier bass sound profile or typically listen to music with heavy bass sounds, this option is better for you.
The winner in this category is the JBL E55BT, simply because it has a higher bass amount. This gives a better range of sound, and amplifies the bass sounds. While not everyone may notice this or care too much for bass sounds, a wider profile gives a more complete and higher-quality audio.
Stand Out Features
While these two headphones are relatively similar, the fit of the headphones makes a huge difference. Both products are part of the E-series and you may be wondering why JBL chose to put out two extremely similar headphones. Even though from the features, the two are almost exactly the same, the over-ear vs. on-ear fit can make one more suitable over the other for your lifestyle.
Over-ear fit: This means that the ear cups are full-sized and should fit comfortably around your entire ear.
- Some prefer this option since they are less likely to move around, when fitted over your ear.
- The over-ear fit also allows for satisfactory sound since it fits over your entire ear and allows for surround sound.
- This design is usually larger and not as suitable for travel or on the go.
- The over-ear design is also less breathable and can get a bit warm if worn for a long time.
- An over-ear fit is also great for sound isolation and is better at keeping out outside noises.
- Although they do not move around during physical activity, it can get a bit sweaty after longer periods of time.
- These types of headphones are great for gaming or listening to music.
On-ear fit: This headphone design is one of the most common headphone types. This type of headphone has ear cups or pads that rest on your ears instead of fully around them. The ear pads or ear cups sit comfortably on the outer portion of your ear.
- This design type still allows for excellent sound quality, but maybe more prone to shifting during more intense physical activity.
- An on-ear design is typically lower in cost and better for portability since the size is smaller.
- The smaller ear cups allow for a lighter and more compact product to bring around with you.
- Great balance between sound quality and comfort.
- This design is more versatile and can be used for a wider range of activities.
- This design does allow some sound to get out and come in since it does not cover the entire ear.
Depending on the use of your headphones, you will find one that is more suitable for you. If you are looking for a truly portable headphone that can accompany you wherever you go, the on-ear JBL E45BT is the one for you. If you are looking for an encompassing sound that is great for physical activity, the JBL E55BT may be better for you. Since the two are so similar in features, the fit and portability may be the deciding factor for you.
Use JBL E45BT headphones if:
- You want a more versatile headphone option for different uses
- You are worried about the heaviness of the headphones
- You want a smaller, more compact option that you can bring around
- You like an on-ear fit that is not as suitable for noise-canceling
- You want a more affordable option that does not lack in sound quality
- Want some breathability especially if using for longer periods
Check the E45BT high-quality headphones out if you are looking for a comfortable, yet aesthetic option that features JBL’s signature sound quality.
Use JBL E55BT headphones if:
- You value a more amplified sound quality
- You are less worried about the portability of the headphones
- You want to block out more ambient noise
- You prefer a sound with a better bass quality
- You need a longer battery life between charges
- You are not worried about overheating, sweating or fatigue
- You are not worried about the slight increase in price
Buy the E55BT top-notch headphones if you want a high-quality isolated sound that is comfortable, yet portable for any occasion.